LearningJournal: Power of Light… Confirmation Bias, Misdirection and Deception.

Well that is a suitably pretentious title I think. I wasn’t content with just the brief header as my title, I felt that it needed a little more, just to make sure the audience grasped my concept a little easier. I’ve taken some inspiration from the shadow factories of Longbridge, where coincidentally I attend college. So I’ve made a sort of brick wall, covered in camouflage paint to reference the war time. The brick wall is scattered with tanks and little toy army soldiers, again the reference the war time. Tanks and planes were made in the Longbridge factories during the second world war.

I was asked why I chose blue and red for the numbers. And was it a reference to the blue and red on either the British or American flag (The US Ghost Army was a huge reference point in my piece). My initial idea was to use two primary colours, perhaps a reference to the fact each number is a prime number. The numerical equivalent of a prime number? I prefer the reference to the flags but in all honesty blue and red were just the first colours that came to mind when I was choosing paint.

 

The building process for this piece was fairly simple. I started with a piece of hardboard as a base, and made bricks out of clay. Each brick was made individually and then attached to the board using tile adhesive. In retrospect this was a terrible idea as the pieces got all jumbled and it was like a puzzle putting all the pieces back together to make a brick wall. I then used matte spray paint in army camouflage colours to paint the whole piece. Before painting, pieces of toy tanks and planes were submerged in the clay. Toy soldiers were also used to make sure the audience grasped the war reference. This may have been a little too obvious but it added more substance to the background. I had initially planned to include a dada style poem of the dictionary definition of confirmation bias in the final piece but I left this would have made the piece too cluttered.

Making the numbers was not as straight forward as I’d anticipated. I purchased foil balloons and used plaster of paris bandages instead of my initial idea of paper mache. Once the plaster had dried I added more mixed plaster to smooth the surface over, then cut the inflatable nozzles of a pair of waterwings and attached them to each number. The numbers were then spray painted. Spray paint was used for ease, and the appropriate colours were available easily. Both plaster, and the clay bricks needed one coat of paint, the numbers were then covered in lacquer to appear shiny and more balloon like.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s